USS Cannon (DE 99).

Length: “Long hull” 306' 0" x 300' 0"

Molded Beam: 36' 7"

Displacement: 1,240 long tons standard; 1,600 full load.

Draft: Light: 8' 3"; Deep: 11' 8";

Designed Complement: Officers, 15; Enlisted, 201.

Shaft Horsepower: 6,000

Speed: Trial: 20.9 knots; Service: 21 knots.

Screws: Two.

Rudders: Two.

Bridge: High, open.

Stack: One.


Gun battery: 3 x 3-inch/50 caliber dual purpose guns.

Initial: 2 x single 40mm Bofors.

Later: 3 x twin 40mm Bofors.

Short range: 8 x single 20mm Oerlikon.

Anti-submarine battery: 2 x depth charge tracks, 8 x depth charge projectors, 1 x Hedgehog.

In the Cannon class, the Evarts’ four General Motors diesels and electric drive were fitted to a Buckley-class hull—the Diesel Electric Tandem motor (DET) type. Larger but not more powerful than the Evarts, the DETs proved the slowest of the long-hulled types.


DETs were built at Federal-Port Newark, Dravo-Wilmington, Tampa and Western Pipe.


Pennewill, Reybold, Herzog, McAnn, Cannon and Christopher were transferred to Brazil in 1944. Alger and Marts were transferred in 1945.


DETs in the US Navy sustained no losses during World War II.


Bronstein received the Presidential Unit Citation for anti-submarine action February–March 1944.


Slater is preserved at Albany, New York.
Cannon class

Sources: Bauer and Roberts, Friedman, Whitley, DESA, Global Security, Destroyer History Foundation database.